Raw Lemon Ginger Carrot Cake
I recently posted on the social medias (follow me on Instagram! = @megustamantequilla) a lovely raw mini-carrot cake I picked up from The Turnip Truck made by The Spark of Life Healing Foods, a local raw/gluten free food maker in Nashville. It was refreshing and filling, I barely needed much of a dinner afterwards! Barely, I still had my way with a grass-fed burger with some lacto-fermented pickles (great, easy recipe from The Food Lovers Kitchen aka Primal Palate.
Anyway, it inspired me to create my own raw version. Some of my favorite food memories are of making carrot cake with my mother for Thanksgiving. I loved helping mom grate and chop all the carrots and pecans needed for that sinful, gluten-y delight. Now, as I am living gluten free and attempting to stay off processed sugar, finding a raw, sugar-free version of carrot cake is a much needed beacon of hope to help in this process.
Ginger and Lemon? I wanted to create a carrot cake that had all the great flavors from my gluten-filled youth, but with added fresh ginger and lemon notes. I mean, who doesn’t love ginger and lemon together, it’s intoxicating. This recipe came out even better than I could have imagined. The icing is creamy and decadent, and the cake tastes so much like my mother’s I was instantly transported to Thanksgiving 2002 when I was chopping nuts, and “dancing” to Nelly’s Hot in Herre on my Sony DiscMan…much to my mother’s chagrin. I was having a teenage I-need-music-isolation-moment. I hope you can enjoy this not-so-sinful treat and, hey, put on Nelly while you eat it and bust a move. The recipe is below, feel free to leave any comments or questions!
Raw Lemon Ginger Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream “Cheese” Icing
Serving Size: 12-15 small pieces
- 3 large carrots
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated or 1/2 tsp dried ginger (but mix with other dry spices below, when they are called for)
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup whole dates, pitted (if very dry, soak in cup of warm water for 30min-hour)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. organic cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. organic nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. organic ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. organic ground allspice
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Optional Add-in for Pro-Raisin Carrot Cake Aficionados: 1/3 cup raisins
Prep Note: If you are making Cashew Cream “Cheese” Icing, start soaking your cashews before you make the cake in a cup of warm water, so it’s ready for later.
1. Finely grate or use microplane to grate ginger. Shred the roughly chopped carrots until they are granulated (like picture below) in the food processor, then pour into a large bowl. If you have the actual grater attachment for the food processor, it is helpful, but not necessary (I just used regular blade in processor).
Cashew Cream “Cheese” Icing
Serving: Makes about 1.5 cups icing
- 1 1/3 cup cashews, raw, unsalted – soaked in a cup of water water 30-60 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated or 1/8 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (softened)
- 2 tbsp. raw honey, maple syrup, or 1/4-1/3 tsp. liquid stevia
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup water, add more water as needed
1. Soak cashews for about an hour before adding to blender. Blend all ingredients together in a blender. Chill for about 30 minutes before icing cake.
I hope you enjoy!